Click below to browse useful NWDVCAS downloads and links
Support you and provide a safe place for you to wait while you’re at court. We provide information about court & AVO’s
We have a variety of helpful assets and documents available to view or download.
Click below to find answers to common questions we receive at NWDVCAS. If your question is not there please contact us.
Newcastle Women’s Domestic Violence Country Advocacy Services (NWDVCAS) are a local, community based organisation in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie NSW.
They do not provide legal advice but can help you in many other ways. They can:
- Support you and provide a safe place for you to wait while you’re at court
- Give you information about court and AVOs, if you wish, where possible, have an Aboriginal worker to help you
- Help you talk with the gunjies or your lawyer
- Put you in touch with other support services and legal advice. In a Number of courts, Legal Aid NSW provides lawyers who can give you free, independent legal advice.
An AVO is an order made by the court telling a person to stop hurting or harrassing you
An AVO can also include your kids and other members of your family
An AVO is not a criminal charge
call the police on triple zero (000) If your AVO is breached by the defendant. Tell the gunjies you have an AVO.
There are two ways you can get an AVO:
- You can apply at a Local Court. This is called a private application. NWDVCAS, Local Court staff or your lawyer can help you.
- Gunjies can apply on your behalf. There are specifically trained domestic voilence Gunjies call Domestic Voilence Liason Officers DVLO’s
The NWDVCAS will support you. It can be more than one visit to court to obtain an AVO.
A magistrate can excuse you from attending court but it is better if you are there on the day.
No one knows your matter better than you so make sure the court gets all of your information.
AVOs can be made to allow you to keep living with your partner.
You can ask to withdraw your AVO.
The NWDVCAS can help you understand how this works. You will need to tell the reasons why you want to withdraw.