Newcastle WDVCAS – has Domestic and Family Violence (DFV ) Case workers for existing NWDVCAS clients.
The overall aim of case management is to help clients and families recover from their experience of DFV physically, emotionally, mentally and practically, and help clients escape the cycle of violence wherever possible.
The case management provided is short term, with an average length of 6 months, however there can be exceptions due to the nature of domestic and family violence, the court process and delays in intake to other services.
Purpose of case management
Case management involves developing a person-centred case plan with each client that identifies their key safety issues, needs and goals, and options for addressing these. It also involves engaging with clients regarding their experience of violence to empower them to make safer choices for themselves and their
Case management is undertaken within a trauma-informed, strengths-based framework that aims to respect and support clients’ autonomy.
Short-term outcomes may be that:
- Clients and families are connected with appropriate services that meet their legal and social welfare needs in a timely manner
- Clients recognise their experience as DFV, understand their options and know where to get help if they need it in the future
- Clients and families have a safety plan and appropriate legal protection in place
- Clients and families have safe accommodation.
Long-term outcomes may be that:
- Clients gain the information and supports needed to stay safe and pursue their goals
- Clients develop the skills to be independent of services.
WDVCAS Case Management Workers provide a best practice, specialist, trauma-informed and strengthbased model of service to WDVCAS clients who:
- Have been assessed as having complex and serious needs which are impacting on their ability to keep safe and that therefore would benefit from intensive support
- Are not able to be referred to another case management service in the area and
- Consent to being referred into case management.
WDVCAS Case Management Workers cannot receive referrals from external services or agencies.